- Different alcohols are used. (Methanol, ethanol, propanol, butanol, pentanol )
- Pipette 1 ml of solvent on to temp probe wrapped with cotton.
- Close the lid to prevent any breeze
- Triplicate runs performed for each solvent
- Compute the average rate of evaporation.
Video Tutorial on Chemistry IA on effect of RMM on its rate of evaporation.
Sample IA report for the above experiment
IB Chemistry IA on the effect of RMM on rate of evaporation of organic solvents
Research Questions using the above methodology
- Does changing ethanol concentration (90, 80, 70, 60, 50)% affect its rate of evaporation
- Does molar mass of hydrocarbon affect its rate of evaporation
- Does branching of alcohol (OH) gp, ( 1- propanol, 2 - propanol ) or ( 1- butanol, 2- butanol, 2 methyl propan 2 ol) affect the rate of evaporation